We use generic at our office; the active ingredient in Wegovy™
Why Wegovy™ (Semaglutide)?
Have you lost weight in the past only to have it return?Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) may be able to help you lose weight and keep it off.
Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) is for adults with obesity (BMI ≥30) or overweight (excess weight) (BMI ≥27) who also have weight-related medical problems to help them lose weight and keep it off. Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) should be used with a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity.
ADULTS LOST ON AVERAGE
(or ~15% body weight)
while taking Wegovy™ (Semaglutide)
- People taking a placebo lost an average of 6 lbs (or ~2.5% body weight)
- The average starting weight for both groups was ~232 lbs
Results are from a 68-week medical study of adults with obesity (BMI ≥30) and adults with excess weight (BMI ≥27) who also had weight-related medical problems, including high blood pressure or high cholesterol. People with type 2 diabetes were excluded. Both groups were instructed to take medicine along with a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity. 7% of people taking Wegovy™ (92 people) left the medical study due to side effects, compared to 3.1% of people taking a placebo (20 people).
While taking Wegovy™ (Semaglutide), people not only lost weight but also kept it off.
In the same study, in addition to a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity, people taking Wegovy™ lost more weight vs placebo.
What is Wegovy™(Semaglutide Injection)?
Wegovy™ (semaglutide) injection 2.4 mg is an injectable prescription medicine used for adults with obesity (BMI ≥30) or overweight (excess weight) (BMI ≥27) who also have weight-related medical problems to help them lose weight and keep the weight off.
- Wegovy™ should be used with a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity.
- Wegovy™ contains semaglutide and should not be used with other semaglutide-containing products or other GLP-1 receptor agonist medicines.
- It is not known if Wegovy™ is safe and effective when taken with other prescription, over-the-counter, or herbal weight loss products.
- It is not known if Wegovy™ can be used safely in people with a history of pancreatitis.
- It is not known if Wegovy™ is safe and effective for children under 18 years of age.
How Does Wegovy™ Work?
Wegovy™ works by mimicking a hormone that targets areas of the brain involved in regulating appetite and food intake. This can help you eat less, which can lead to
What is the most important information I should know about Wegovy™ (Semaglutide)?
Wegovy™ (Semaglutide)may cause serious side effects, including:
- Possible thyroid tumors, including cancer. Tell your healthcare provider if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. These may be symptoms of thyroid cancer. In studies with rodents, Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) and medicines that work like Wegovy™ caused thyroid tumors, including thyroid cancer. It is not known if Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) will cause thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) in people.
- Do not use Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) if you or any of your family have ever had a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) or if you have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2).
- Have you or any of your family have ever had a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC), or if you have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2)?
- You have had a severe allergic reaction to semaglutide or any of the ingredients in Wegovy™ (Semaglutide).
Before using Wegovy™ (Semaglutide), tell your healthcare provider if you have any other medical conditions, including if you:
- Have or have had problems with your pancreas or kidneys?
- Have type 2 diabetes and a history of diabetic retinopathy.
- Have or have had depression, suicidal thoughts, or mental health issues.
- Are you pregnant or plan to become pregnant? Wegovy™ may harm your unborn baby. You should stop using Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) 2 months before you plan to become pregnant.
- Are you breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed? It is not known if Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) passes into your breast milk.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Wegovy™ may affect how some medicines work, and some drugs may affect the way Wegovy™ works. Tell your healthcare provider if you are taking other medicines to treat diabetes, including sulfonylureas or insulin. Wegovy™ slows stomach emptying and can affect medicines that need to pass through the stomach quickly.
What are the possible side effects of Wegovy™ (Semaglutide)?
Wegovy™ (Semaglutide) may cause serious side effects, including:
- Inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis). Stop using Wegovy™ and call your healthcare provider immediately if you have severe pain in your stomach area (abdomen) that will not go away, with or without vomiting. You may feel the pain from your abdomen to your back.
- gallbladder problems. Wegovy™ may cause gallbladder problems, including gallstones. Some gallstones may need surgery. Call your healthcare provider if you have symptoms, such as pain in your upper stomach (abdomen), fever, yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice), or clay-colored stools.
- Increased risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in patients with type 2 diabetes, especially those who also take medicines for type 2 diabetes, such as sulfonylureas or insulin. This can be both a serious and common side effect. Talk to your healthcare provider about how to recognize and treat low blood sugar and check your blood sugar before you start and while you take Wegovy™. Signs and symptoms of low blood sugar may include dizziness or light-headedness, blurred vision, anxiety, irritability or mood changes, sweating, slurred speech, hunger, confusion or drowsiness, shakiness, weakness, headache, fast heartbeat, or feeling jittery.
- Kidney problems (kidney failure). In people with kidney problems, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting may cause a loss of fluids (dehydration) which may cause kidney problems to get worse. You need to drink fluids to help reduce your chance of dehydration.
- Serious allergic reactions. Stop using Wegovy™ and get medical help immediately if you have any symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, including swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat; problems breathing or swallowing; severe rash or itching; fainting or feeling dizzy or very rapid heartbeat.
- Change in vision in patients with type 2 diabetes. Tell your healthcare provider if you have changes in vision during treatment with Wegovy™.
- You have an increased heart rate. Wegovy™ can increase your heart rate while you are at rest. Tell your healthcare provider if you feel your heart racing or pounding in your chest, and it lasts for several minutes.
- Depression or thoughts of suicide. You should pay attention to any mental changes, especially sudden changes in your mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any mental changes that are new, worse, or worry you.
The most common side effects of Wegovy™ (Semaglutide)may include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, stomach (abdomen) pain, headache, tiredness (fatigue), upset stomach, dizziness, feeling bloated, belching, gas, stomach flu, and heartburn.